Sunday, November 6, 2011

Preface to Rest & Relaxation

So I know that the next part of the SPoH book is supposed to be about rest & relaxation.  Today, I was thinking about a time in which I felt most rested and relaxed and how is it that I can achieve that on a regular basis. 

A place that has always been a place where I have felt rest and relaxation has been at Camp Zion or Door County, WI.  When I am there I am away from the business of life without the modern day distractions of technology and all of the entertaining attractions that we have.  As nice as they can be sometimes, they are also a distraction from other more important things from time to time and for me only cause more stress.

I have a memory also from about 10 years ago where a group from my church had a retreat at an old college existing since the 1850s.  It was right next to a lake and had very grand buildings modeled after a college in England.  We stayed in dormitory type rooms that were very simple.  Only a bed, light, nightstand and a place to put our clothes.  While we all attended a few seminars together, the rest of the time was spent in solitude.  To this day, I believe that it was the most peaceful weekend I have ever had in my life.

Achieving some of these things in our everyday lives can be difficult sometimes.

In Exodus 20 it says: 8 “Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. 11 For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Maybe He knew that as humans we need that time.  Time to worship Him and to rest so that we would be better to serve Him the rest of the week.  Whether you spend your sabbath on Saturday or Sunday or even another day, I won't go into that, it is good to give that day to God.  Take a break from all of the chores around the house, spend more time with God, take a nap, spend time in fellowship with your fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. I'm not talking about socializing but rather spending time reading scripture, discussing it, learning from each other and praying for one another.  I know this is an area that I can still be working on and I'm sure many of you who are reading this feel the same way.

What was your most restful moment in life? How can you achieve that each week?  Something to think about.  I look forward to reading SPoH and sharing with you what Colbert has to say about this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment