Friday, November 18, 2011

Day 31 of 5am & SPoH: Day 17 - Vegetarian or not?

Wednesday I decided to take a break from the videos.  While I think they are great, some of the movement can be hard on some of my joints.  Once I have lost more weight, then it won't be so bad.  I did not want to give up a 5am workout this week though, so I did my workout on a stationary bike.  If you have that luxury, I highly recommend it.  You still want to get a calorie burn, but your body just can't take the hard core jumping around or putting all your weight on your knees as you do lunges and squats and such.  Take a break from the circuit routine and just do something that is not as hard on your joints.  Such as riding a bike or swimming.  As mentioned the other day, our bodies are not designed to carry a lot of weight, so if you are carrying more than your body is designed for, take it easy for a day.  Just get some movement in and try to at least get your heart rate up.

SPoH: Day 17 - I am so excited about this chapter.  Mainly because he brings across a point that I have talked with people about.  God's original plan was for us to be vegetarian!  Read Genesis 1:29-30.  However, as you read through the bible, God does give us the freedom to eat meat.  For Noah He says, “Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things” (Genesis 9:3) and later in the new testament the bible says, "everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer." (1 Tim 4:4-5)  So, yes, as Christians we have permission to eat what we like, but remember what Paul wrote, "all things are permissible, but not all things are beneficial." (1 Cor 6:12) What else I would like to mention that vegetation is not what it used to be.  I remember hearing that there is less variety then what we used to have.  So while being a vegetarian may be beneficial, there may be some nutrients that are difficult to find in our vegetation.  Studies have shown though that vegetarians tend to live longer, healthier lives.  I believe this is because that is what our bodies are originally designed for.  The point I guess is that while God may have designed us to be vegetarians originally, that is not his plan.  Vegetables, grains, and, of course, water should be the main part of our diets, but we do not have to stick strictly to that.  The challenge for us is to consume more vegetation.  Especially in a culture where the main course is meat.  I no longer eat meat and cheese sandwiches for lunch.  Instead I consume a salad with dried cranberries and nuts.  I still have other things to adjust, but that is an example.  Maybe think of what you can substitute for something you have regularly and make that change. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment