Monday, November 7, 2011

Day 26 of 5am & SPoH: Day 8 - Sleep!


Today I was so ready to workout.  It has been way too long I think since I was able to get a good workout in, due to extreme soreness.  I did do some stretching this weekend and that certainly seemed to help.  I may do some stretching again tonight to keep my muscles loose.  The workout I did today was another Biggest Loser Cardio Max Weightloss video.  This one is different from the video I did a couple weeks ago.  The part that really works me in this video is when Bob has you in plank position doing "jumping jacks" on the floor.  I had to modify because my body is just not strong enough yet to accomplish this.  Although, I must say that push ups are indeed getting easier.  I'm still on my knees most of the time (especially when doing reps in high numbers), but it is getting easier.  If you are reading this and the reason you aren't working out is because it's too hard to do some of the exercises, STOP MAKING EXCUSES!  Start simple.  There are easier ways of doing certain exercises or working certain muscles if you tend to be weak in a certain area.  When I started working out jumping rope, jumping jacks, and push ups were my biggest challenges.  As time has gone on I am getting better and better at them everyday and have to find new ways to challenge myself and make some exercises more challenging just to get a workout from it.  Don't give up just because it's too hard.  Start at your level and work your way up.  

SPoH: Day 8 - Sleep! Psalm 127:2 (NIV) says, “He grants sleep to those he loves.” To those who are tired, He says, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest” (Matt. 11:28, NIV). Sleep helps with regulating hormones, slow aging, building a better immune system, improving brain function, reducing cortisol levels.  When you don’t get enough sleep, you may be at risk for developing type 2 diabetes, become clumsy, risk your job and marriage, endanger lives, and be more prone to diseases.   Colbert’s advice for everyone is to get between 7 and 9 hours of sleep every night.

COLBERT, DONALD; Mary Colbert (2006-12-11). The Seven Pillars of Health (p. 38-41). Siloam. Kindle Edition.

We all know that sleep is important, but it doesn’t hurt to be reminded of how important it is.  Sometimes having reasons for getting the sleep we need is helpful.  If you are really struggling with sleeping at night, working out and eating properly is what has really helped me.  I still have a hard time here and there getting a goodnights rest, but I sure can tell the difference between those days when I have been working out and eating better from the days when I don’t.  Drink plenty of water , eat those fruits and vegetables, and work your body a little harder today and see if it helps your sleep.  That’s 3 steps you can take. 

No comments:

Post a Comment