Monday, November 28, 2011

Day 36 of 5am & SPoH: Day 20 - Eating Meat & Dairy with Caution!

Today, I did Denise Austin's Hit the Spot: Core Complete.  Honestly I did not feel like I got much from it.  I will try a different segment or two on the video to see if I get a harder workout.  I decided today to do the warm up (obviously) and the 18 minute full body segment.  I think if I did this video starting out I might have felt more challenged, but this segment was a little easier then my level. 

SPoH: Day 20 - How much meat & dairy products do you eat?  God did design us so that we can be omnivores, but there are some people out there who eat way more meat than our bodies are designed for.  Colbert says that there are three reasons for limiting meat (especially red): toxic fat, excess protein, irradiation. 

What can you do to safely eat meat?  Choose organic, free-range, or grass-fed meats and look for the leanest cut. Go with Turkey as your first choice.  Limit red meats to only 4-6 oz, once or twice a week.  Take the skin off your poultry before you cook it so that you don't risk getting pesticides cooked into the meat.  Don't deep fry your meat.  Yuck!!!  Fish is healthy, however, many have high mercury content.  So again, be cautious.  If you are buying tuna, look for tongol tuna, it contains much fewer traces of mercury.  Lok for pacific herring, king salmon, wild Pacific salmon, anchovies, and lake trout.  Avoid Shark and Swordfish. 

Dairy products (definitely a weakness of mine).  A lot of children suffer from chronic ear and sinus infections that are onset by dairy sensitivity.  If you have one of those children, try limiting their dairy intake and see if it helps.  I discovered this very thing about myself when I was either in high school or college.  I have not eliminated it from my diet completely, but I certainly have limited it.  It makes a huge difference.  Dairy products and cow's milk can also be linked to problems with skin rashes, eczema, fatigue, spastic colon, excessive mucus production, nasal allergies, and chronic sinus infections. Dairy has a lot of saturated fat.  As alternatives: consider goat milk (the biblical idea of milk), choose organic skim, eat yogurt from time to time.  Another alternative that I have chosen is almond milk.  While some people choose soy milk, they don't realize that there are many foods that already contain soy.  Also, many people have developed an allergy to soy as well.  I recommend doing your own research on the different alternatives out there.  I have heard that coconut milk is also very good for you, but the taste is very different.

Good news is that chocolate is good for you!  There are a lot of great benefits to the cacao bean. Specifically though, dark chocolate.   Watch out for the commercial chocolates.  They are highly processed and much of the benefits are destroyed in that processing.  As with all other foods, stick with organic chocolates and only eat in moderation.

No comments:

Post a Comment