Friday, November 18, 2011

Day 32-34 of 5am, Saturday workout & SPoH: Day 18 - Food 101

Ok, so rather than trying to post a blog for each day I missed, I decided to just catch you up on what I missed.  Day 32 of 5 am - Thursday I did Biggest Loser Power Sculpt, which I have done before.

Day 33 of 5 am- Friday, I decided to try something different . . . YouTube video: Kickboxing with Adrienne White.  I had videos but as I have mentioned before I can get bored of videos, so I thought I would try something new.  Since I can access You Tube from my TV, I didn't have to turn on my computer.  So awesome!  Anyways, I believe Adrienne said that she is a personal trainer in Dallas.  Her video was good, but I warn you that it is rather fast paced and hard to keep up with when you have more than like 20 lbs to lose.  I did it anyway and had a great workout.

Saturday workout, I did a half hour running sequence on the treadmill.  Alternating 3 minutes of running and 3 minutes of walking.  It felt fantastic!  I did running last year until I could not handle it anymore because of the feeling that I was setting myself up for a huge injury.  But since it has been awhile and I don't intend to run every day, I figured why not!  It was great!  Now let me say that it took me a long time to be able to say that.  The one thing I like about running is that I don't have to watch a screen to see what my next move is going to be.  Instead I can multitask and listen to or watch whatever I want.  So I listened to the most recent Jillian Michaels podcast as I ran.  We don't have a television in front of our treadmill, so I don't have that option anyways.  So you can listen to a podcast, listen to music, listen to a book on CD, or listen to a sermon like Beth Moore.  Having the ability to do that helps my mind to be engaged as well while I am working out.  I'd like to try having Saturday as my running day so that I am not overdoing the activity but that I am at least running once a week.

Day 34 of 5am - Today, I did another round of Biggest Loser Cardio Max Weight Loss.  Great burn today.  I was sweating more than usual.  It's a great feeling when you can start to see the results of your work. :)

SPoH: Day 18 - Food 101.  This is by far the longest chapter in the book so far.  It was more of a refresher course for me with a few interesting facts that I did not know before.  This chapter is basically covering why we should really be avoiding 'man-made' foods.  He starts of with a story about a woman who comes in extremely overweight trying to understand why she has gained when she eats all the basic food groups.  Whopper covers grains, meat, dairy, & vegetables and juice covers the fruit group.  Anyone else see what is wrong with this? Everything is processed and while most of us will give our kids juice, it contains a lot of added sugar.  Companies are getting better, but unless your juice is freshly squeezed at home, we don't know what else might be in it.  It is better to actually eat the fruit itself.

So what is it that is so bad about processed food?  We can put it this way.  In order to give our bodies the sustenance that it needs, we need to consume certain minerals and nutrients.  The hard thing in America is that all of the processed foods take out the nutrients that our bodies need and sell them to health food companies.  There are a couple things about white bread that I found interesting.  One, they bleach it so that it looks white, otherwise it would look gray.  The other thing is that when it is wet it is sticky.  So gross!  It is better to stick to foods that are whole grains.  I have found that more recently though, companies are starting  to catch on to the new wave of the health conscious and they are providing more healthier options.

Some things that we need to look out for are MSG, Sugar and their alternatives, white flour, fast food, bad meats (such as hot dogs, sausage, bacon, etc.), and certain fats such as hydrogenated oils.  There are so many side effects that it is hard to name them all just in this post.  Just to name a few - headaches or migraines, a variety of cancers, joint pains, nausea, etc.  The list goes on and on.  All things that we would like to avoid.  I am not going to say that I will avoid these foods altogether, but I certainly would limit how much I would intake.  I used to eat whoppers maybe 3 times a week or so and maybe a chalupa another 3 times during the week.  I'll tell you, I was not always feeling so great then. Now, I can't even remember the last time I have eaten either of them.  There are a lot of 'diets' out there that say you can eat whatever you want as long as it is in moderation.  However, knowing what is in some foods really makes me not want to eat them. If you knew that certain foods, particularly man made foods could hurt your health, does it not make you want to stop eating them all together?  Ok, so like I said, I might not do that.  But I certainly would cut back to maybe once a year for those foods that I really like.

The point of this chapter is more to be mindful of what you are eating.  Read labels.  Find out how much of the "bad" stuff you are taking in and try to limit it.  If you can't live without something, maybe try to find a healthy alternative.  You love meat and cheese sandwiches?  Eat it with whole grain bread, avocado, turkey breast and  mozzarella cheese slices, rather than white bread, mayonnaise, bologna, and american cheese.  Stick with the less processed, less preservatives, and less hormones.  I think I remember reading or hearing Jillian Michaels say, if you don't understand what certain ingredients are then don't buy it!  Most likely it is something you don't want in your body.  If you want to read more details on MSG, Sugar, etc. there are all sorts of websites you can check out or you can read the chapter in this book.  There is just too much to include in my blog that has already become rather lengthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment