Monday, December 12, 2011

Saturday Workout, Day 42 of 5am & SPoH: Day 27 - Alternative Exercises

Saturday, I did Dancing with the Stars: Cardio Dance.  A little different from Zumba.  I really liked the workout though.  It's a bit longer then the Zumba workouts I have been doing.  If you ever try this one,  I highly recommend not trying to do this on carpet.  I love doing dance as a workout.  It gets my heart pumping and the time goes by rather quickly because I am having fun.

Day 42 of 5am, I did the Zumba 20 minute workout again today.  I'm finding that the colder it gets, the harder it is to get out of bed.  I went to bed at a good time last night, but my body still felt like it needed more sleep.  I was very tired.  Did you know that our bodies are actually designed to sleep more in the winter months?  I wonder what this will do to my workout habits. :(  Check out this article to see what I am talking about http://www.fitwatch.com/health/seratonin-why-you-need-more-sleep-in-the-winter-366.html.  So if you feel like your dragging a lot during the winter, your body is probably telling you that it indeed needs more sleep.  I guess this means I'm going to have to try to go to bed even earlier so that I get the required amount of sleep that my body needs in order to workout.

SPoH: Day 27 - Alternative ways to exercise.  Have fun!

Colbert mentions a couple of ways to exercise that for personal, christian convictions I do not agree with. Yoga and Tai Chi are very popular in our country because of some of the benefits that it provides.  However, many Christians have not really educated themselves on the origination of these exercises.  In 1 Timothy 4:6-8 we are told to train ourselves in Godly ways.  Yoga and Tai Chi are heavily rooted in eastern religion.  Every move signifies something spiritually.  We offer our bodies not to God but to the gods of eastern religion.  That is my personal conviction on it.  If you have not thought about it or done research yourself, I highly recommend it.

However, Pilates is not rooted in any religion.  Pilates is named after it's maker, Joseph Pilates from Germany.  It is an exercise using your mind and body.  Focusing on breathing and movement.  This exercise helps improve strength, endurance, flexibility, and produces long, lean muscles.  Many dancers use pilates as a part of their training.  This is one form that I do enjoy.  It is challenging for the body and kind of fun to see what you can do.  Joseph suffered from rheumatic fever, rickets, and asthma which produced many challenges to face through his life. He developed exercises to help him overcome his ailments.

Dancing! . . . is another fun form of exercise.  Colbert talks specifically about Ballroom Dancing.  But there are many forms of dance out there.  Zumba is becoming ever so popular.  It is good for balance, developing coordination, and rhythm.  As you have read in my blogs recently I have done Zumba and Dancing with the Stars videos.  You can also spend a night line dancing at a local dance club or sign up for classes either at the gym or the local colleges.  It can also be a great social activity as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment