Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Day 43 of 5am & SPoH: Day 28 - Succeeding at Exercise!

Tuesday, I worked out 35 minutes on the stationary bike.

Wednesday I took a break.  I was up later on Tuesday watching the Biggest Loser Finale and so I decided to sleep in on Wednesday.

SPoH: Day 28 - How do we succeed at exercising for life?!  Not just for the moment.

Colbert gives a list of suggestions or tips on how to do this.
- Build exercise into your schedule.  Look at it as like an important doctor's appointment.
- Choose Exercises that you enjoy.  Obviously if you have problems with your knees or hips, etc. you want to do an exercise that will not hurt your body.  You will enjoy it and you'll stick with it.
- Have an Exercise Partner. This may be a challenge for some, but there are certain exercises that are much more enjoyable with a partner.  Plus you have accountability.
- Choose a location that you enjoy.  As much as I love working out in a gym with all its fancy equipment, I find that my home is more enjoyable for working out simply because I do not have to leave my house during the winter months just to get my workout in.  In the summers, I love being outdoors.
- Change it up!  If you are bored with something, what are the chances that you will stick with it?  Slim to none.  Find new and exciting ways to get your calorie burn in.
- Do Occupational/Transportation Exercises Meaning take every moment you have any opportunity to just move.  Park your car in the back of the parking lot, take the stairs instead of the elevator, during your break or lunch take a walk, etc.

Check out this list for ideas of how to get a good calorie burn and keep track.  If you don't already have a HR monitor for your workouts, you can use information like this to help figure it out. http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist.htm

On the flip side, beware of over exerting yourself.  Colbert mentions that he pushed himself so hard that he caused himself to have a heat stroke and almost died.  While exercise is important, be careful not to over exert yourself.  Listen to your body.  Give it the rest that it needs if it needs it.

No comments:

Post a Comment