Sunday, January 6, 2013

Reminiscing over 2 years of Weight Loss

As 2012 is coming to a close, I wanted to take sometime to just review all the things that I have accomplished over the last two years and three months.  I started my journey at 237 lbs in the summer of 2010.  I was wearing a size 18 in pants, 1x in shirts, and not only did I not like how I looked (despite my husbands encouragement), I did not like how I felt.  I was tired, almost always struggling with sinus problems, and just constantly feeling sick.

  

After continuous visits with a doctor regarding a terrible cough that just would not go away even with the medications I was receiving, I decided that there was something that I had to do about it.  So I started researching all possible foods that could cause a person to have abnormal amounts of mucus production.  I know, gross, right?  I pretty much started cutting down on almost every food except fruits and vegetables.  I even cut out many of my choice beverages and stuck with drinking water.  I also started actually working out because I found that I could breath better when I was consistently working my heart and lungs.  Getting rid of what ever impurities I had in my body.  Before I knew it, I had dropped nearly 30 lbs in 3 months.  Just in time for the wedding of two very good friends.  I fit into a size 14 dress and felt better than I had felt in a LONG time.



I decided that my journey was not done yet though.  I decided that since I was on a roll, why not keep going?  I kept up with my workouts and eating well.  I started to reintroduce some of the breads, dairy, and meat that I was avoiding.  I continued to read all sorts of books about health and weight loss.  I wanted to learn as much as I could about taking care of your body.  During 2011, it was apparent to me that I was still losing inches and looking more toned, but actually losing weight was not happening.  I was gaining more muscle and the fat was coming off.  By the end of 2011, I was at 213 lbs.  Gained a few lbs back, but my clothes were fitting better, and I could tell just from my face that I was heading in the right direction.



In January of 2012, I knew I had developed some really good habits, but the reality was that the weight still was not coming off the way that it should.  I realized that I needed to make some changes once again.  I was eating all the right stuff and exercising, but I realized that I needed to concentrate more on my portions.  So I started out the year with Weight Watchers.  I had successfully done this program before a couple of times and thought that I would take a chance with it again.  I was not surprised when I started to see that scale moving yet again.  By Easter, I was down to 200 lbs.  Around that time, God blessed me with a couple of friends who decided to join me on this journey of weight loss.  They introduced me to free programs like sparkpeople.com and myfitnesspal.com.  The greatest benefit of working with weight watchers was the teaching aspect.  Since I felt that I already knew a lot of the basics, why not try the free calorie counting programs.  So after my weight watchers 3 month membership was up, I switched.  I really enjoyed the calorie counting more than weight watchers because I no longer had to calculate points.  I just counted the calories.  And if I was trying to watch my intake of fat, sugars, salt, proteins, etc, they would just calculate it all for me!  Before I knew it, my weight had dropped to 185 lbs by the 4th of July.


Not quite there yet.  I still have about 30 lbs left to my goal yet.  I continued to work hard and stay on a routine.  The hardest part of the summer was that I was staying at home instead of working this year.  Between my sister getting married and then my brother, it was going to be a very busy summer.  However, because of that, I felt like my routine really wasn't set.  I continued to do my best.  By October, I dropped another 15 lbs.  School had started back up and I was back into a routine.  By my brothers wedding I was at 170 lbs and feeling fantastic!! To give you an idea in size, I wear 12 in pants, M/L in shirts, and 10 in dresses.  I have not been at this weight in more than 10 years!!


I know some of you reading out there are probably struggling with your health and weight.  I share my story as a way to hopefully encourage you.  To let you know that it can be done!  And you know what, I have hardly spent any money to do it.  Majority of my working out has been done at home.  If I can do it, so can you!  My journey is not yet over.  I still have about 15 lbs to reach my final goal, but I know that if my body doesn't allow me to go there, I am much happier and healthier than I have ever been.  And if you believe that you need more than simply eating the right foods, right proportions, and exercise, than you will probably wind up right back where you started.  Fad diets or cure all weight loss pills may help you to lose weight, but in the long run you a really haven't changed.  You still have the same old habits that you used to and will just put you back where you started.  Being healthy and losing weight takes work and commitment.  (You have read my story.  It has taken me at least 2 years to get where I am today.) And when you finally get close to the end or even at the end of your journey, you may look back and say, "that was worth it!"  I know that I do!

As we start 2013, my hope is that I will achieve my final goal by my birthday in May.  I have 5 months to achieve it.  If anyone needs any pointers or has any questions for me, I would love to hear them.  I will continue to post as time permits. 

    


2 comments:

  1. Wow!! That is so encouraging to read! Way to Go!!
    I'm gradually changing my eating habits as well, and it's been a real struggle for me, but i really want to be healthier, and get the nutrients my body needs... so in that first photo... is there like smoke in the background or is there an angel photo bombing that pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement and good luck on your journey. As for the first photo, I did not even notice that until your comment. I'm pretty sure it is just due to some movement in the background during the shot. :)

      Delete